Facility Water Safety Issues
According to the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Legionnaire’s Disease is becoming common and serious in the United States: “…the Legionella organism is one of the top three causes of sporadic, community-acquired pneumonia. Because it is difficult to distinguish this disease from other forms of pneumonia, many cases go unreported…but it is estimated that over 25,000 cases of the illness occur each year and cause more than 4,000 deaths.” – OSHA Technical Manual “Legionnaire’s Disease”.
Facilities managers must recognize the need
Ongoing, systematic water system cleaning and disinfection is becoming an essential part of effective facility management. Building managers everywhere are recognizing that ignoring the issue of water risk management can have a drastic impact on the health and well-being of the people who enter and use their facility.
Besides the significant toll on human health when Legionella outbreaks occur, companies involved incur significant financial costs from:
- Production losses
- Damage to brand image
- Litigation by both local governmental agencies and civil suit
- Increased insurance costs
A new industry is developing to meet this need
Effective water safety and hygiene requires technology, training and experience. Just as facility managers rely on professional electricians to ensure safe and efficient running of their electric systems, they need to rely on water safety professionals to ensure that their water systems are hygienic.
The Global Standard for Pathogen Control Solutions
Everyone is familiar with risk management systems in the traditional areas of fire protection, security, and worker health and safety. Yet as the magnitude of risk associated with waterborne pathogens had become more apparent in recent years, nobody had developed a comprehensive approach to this serious problem.
The Authority in Control of Waterborne Pathogens
Nalco Environmental Hygiene Services (EHS) was specifically established and developed to protect facilities like yours from the risks of waterborne pathogens. Backed by unparalleled technical resources, we have lent our scientific resources and experience to governments, regulatory bodies, and industry associations around the world in developing standards for water risk management programs.
The comprehensive approach, breakthrough technologies, best practices and educational support of Nalco EHS are relied upon by some of the world’s largest organizations. In short, we have defined and become the global standard for a comprehensive solution to the worldwide problem of waterborne pathogen control.
Five critical qualities make Nalco EHS different from other water treatment or cleaning companies:
- Integrated approach – Nalco EHS provides a professional, comprehensive system to ensure the highest possible level of protection.
- Certified services – The Pathogen Protection Professional (P3) certification process, which educates our technicians in safety, cleaning and disinfection protocols and customer service, represents the standard for competence and professionalism on every job.
- Proprietary technology – Unique electronic risk assessment and logbook systems to breakthrough secondary disinfection technology
- Unmatched experience – Nobody has as much hands-on practical experience as Nalco in the management of water hygiene programs in virtually every type of facility around the world.
- Specialization and commitment – This is our business. We are dedicated to the sole mission of solving the worldwide problem of waterborne pathogen control.