Goals and Performance
At our more than 115 manufacturing plants, our corporate centers and research facilities, and across our team of 47,000 associates, we imbed sustainable practices to reduce our environmental impact. In 2015, we reevaluated our footprint and adopted practices that will enable us to deliver greater efficiencies throughout our operations while meeting increasing demand for our solutions and services. The result was incremental reduction in water and energy use across our global manufacturing facilities.
2015 Environmental Performance (Percent change from 2012 baseline; measured by intensity per million dollars in sales:
- Reduced total water withdrawl by 6.9%
- Reduced GHG emissions by 3.6%
2020 Corporate Sustainability Goals (2015 baseline)
- Reduce total water withdrawl by 25%
- Reduce GHG emissions by 10%
2030 Customer Impact Goal
- Conserve 300 billion gallons of water annually by reducing water consumption within our own and our customer's operations
Committed to Continuous Improvement
To achieve these aggressive goals, we have expanded our Create & Maintain Value (CMV) program throughout our manufacturing facilities, with an emphasis on the facilities that have the greatest opportunity for resource savings. This approach mirrors the service we deliver to customers - leveraging the expertise of our Nalco Water service engineers, unique auditing and monitoring capabilities, and customized solutions to deliver substantial reductions in water and energy consumption.
- Our Fawley, United Kingdom plant moved to a closed loop cooling water system becoming a "zero effluent plant" and reducing water consumption and effluent discharge by 6.8 million gallons of water.
- Our Maribor, Slovenia plant automated tank washout procedures, saving the plant more than 2 million gallons of water which reduced total water consumption by 14%.
- Our Nanjing, China plant received pump modifications and improvements to the plant's steam trap and insulation, reducing electricity use by 560,000 kWh. Optimization of the plant's vessel clean out program and modifications to its softening system reduced water use by 1.5 million gallons.
- Our Naperville, Illinois facility, headquarters of Nalco Water, maintained its LEED Gold Certification.
- Our Vancouver, Washington plant converted all of the outdoor lighting to LEDs, saving 39,000 kWh and reducing electricity use by nearly 5%.
- Our Corsicana, Texas plant avoided sending 118,000 pounds of process waste to incineration.
For more information on the U.S. Green Building Council's (USGBC) LEED certification, visit www.usgbc.org.
Additional information about our environmental performance is available in the 2015 Corporate Sustainability Report GRI Index.