Following extensive research in the area, the renowned American infectious diseases expert, Dr Philip Carling, created the concept of a programmatic approach to environmental hygiene to illustrate the issues and provide a platform for a monitoring and training system.
1. Previously contaminated rooms increase transmission risk
2. Many patient rooms are not well cleaned
3. Cleaning can be programmatically improved
4. Improved cleaning decreases environmental contamination
5. Improved cleaning decreases acquisition of pathogens